According to Wikipedia (love it) a guilty pleasure is something one enjoys and considers pleasurable despite feeling guilt for enjoying it. The “guilt” involved is sometimes simply fear of others discovering one’s lowbrow or otherwise embarrassing tastes, such as campy styles of entertainment. Fashion, video games, music, films and junk food can be examples of guilty pleasures.
Can you truly enjoy something if you are feeling guilty for it during or after the enjoyment? Would I enjoy my melted butter over my vegetables at the same rate if I was feeling guilty about doing it? I think not! How can an ice cream taste as good if you eat it hidden in the kitchen, as if you were to share it with your husband on the couch? Why should you feel guilty about using the vacuum as a microphone and belting out “Simply The Best” with Tina Turner whilst cleaning the house? It just does not make sense to me that you should be feeling guilty about something you really enjoy.
If I were to list my guilty pleasures it would need to be:
- Wear my trackie dacks (See picture) all day Sundays (and any other day when I don’t have anything on)
- If anyone asks, pretend like I didn’t already have a coffee so I can have another one.
- Buying another pair of heels I will probably wear once and then realise they hurt to much to wear, but they still look to pretty not to buy.
- Hide my stack of Norwegian milk chocolate that just arrived from my mum, so my boyfriend won’t find them and I can eat them all. Guilty for hiding them, not eating them…
- Watch MKR encore the whole Sunday, while having coffee and chocolate in my trackie dacks on the couch while all my heels are all resting nicely.
But the problem is, these are all pleasures. I don’t feel in particularly guilty (maybe except for hiding chocolate, so I can have more) about these things. I just enjoy them. Maybe a guilty pleasure is just one of those expressions I translate literally, but they don’t actually work that way. In the end of the day, if it makes you feel good, it can’t be that bad for your, right?
What is your biggest guilty pleasure? I would really like your opinion on this matter.
Disclaimer: There is no secret stacks of chocolate in the house, don’t start looking.