You can’t go to yoga and not bump into to this guy. He’s everywhere. Repeatedly. For a long time and then a short time. Sometimes you get sick of it, other times you don’t mind standing there with your head between your arms and every now and then you want to chop your shoulders off and leave them in the room afterwards. I think most people have a love/hate relationship to this pose, so I figured I wanted to know a little more about it. Why is it so necessary standing with your ass up in the air, heels on the ground and head down again and again?
Some of the benefits of the (hot) dog are;
- it calms the brain, helps relieve stress and mild depression
- it energises the body, so good against fatigue
- improves digestion
- stretches the shoulder, hamstrings (I have noticed!), calves and hands
- strengthens the shoulders, arms and legs
- it is therapeutic for high blood pressure
- good for asthma
- helps prevent osteoporosis
- relieves headaches (need to remember this for next time that happens to check!)
- helps against insomnia (does that mean I should get up and try or is it just general?)
- helps relieve back pain
- could fix your flat feet
- relieves menstrual discomfort and symptoms of menopause
- you can do it anytime and anywhere, like when you are waiting for the bus
Did I miss any? It seems I need to work on my love for the Downward Dog, because it’s pretty good for me. I did my Day 4 of the Yoga Challenge today. Another class at Barre Body. The 6:30AM classes aren’t in particularly popular, we were only 4 people plus the instructor. Gives you plenty of space to stretch out – and I needed a good stretch today! Pretty tight and sore from the last few days! Tomorrow I am mixing it up with a Power Flow class, hopefully that will help warm up my sore muscles! What is your plan for your Something Every Day today? Please do share! Remember a little something every day adds up to a massive change in a year! Just do it!
Stop and smell the roses – or stop to watch the birds. And breathe. Have a great, healthy, happy, calm and energetic Tuesday!