Sometimes All You Want Is Peanut Butter And Banana

But that’s ok. Nothing wrong with a little (read a lot) peanut butter on top of your banana. So yummy and so easy and actually quite filling. And, it’s not really bad for you, is it? Especially if the peanut butter is either home made or the natural one (with nothing added, one ingredient stuff). I just had one. Was feeling a little tired and sleepy (could have something to do with coming home at midnight from concert, being woken up at 4AM of some random alarm on an old phone and then actually getting up a few hours later. Not enough sleep I think) this arvo (that’s afternoon in Australian slang in case you’re wondering) and I was looking around in my now pretty empty pantry thinking what I could eat to pick me up. Looks good doesn’t it

PB PB2 PB3

Can I claim this as a recipe? The Easiest Snack Ever? All you need is

Peanut butter (or other nut butter) and banana.

All you need to do it putting the peanut butter on the banana, take a bite and then repeat until banana is gone. Bon apetite.

Ha, I think I’ll call it a recipe. That everyone can do. See, now you can call your mum and tell her you know how to cook (no, no, no need to call me and thank me personally, you are more than welcome). Now, if you are worried about eating banana for some reason (that you might put on five kilos after eating it mainly) you should read this. But what about peanut butter? Something so tasty can’t possibly be good for you, can it?? ‘Good for you’ is such an interesting term though. What does it mean? And what I mean is good for me, might not be what you think is good for you. Or what the doctor thinks is good for you (I usually disagree with my doctors advice). But, peanut butter? Not that bad is it?

It’s full of fat, but also has protein and fibre. Because of all the fat it’s one of the many food who are good because they keep you full for longer. So you are less likely to snack or get cravings (typically very good for you if you are trying to lose weight). It’s packed with nutrition, such as Vitamin E, magnesium, potassium and Vitamin B6. Eating peanuts (or in this case the butter form) can actually decrease your risk of heart disease, diabetes and other chronic health conditions  (I don’t know which ones as the study doesn’t state that). Did I mention you shouldn’t buy the low fat peanut butter? Low fat means high sugar. Sugar is not better for you than fat, so stick with the full fat version. Or better even, make you own. Here’s another recipe for you, with ONE ingredient (you’ll make your mum proud with this one);

Peanuts (or any other nut you may want to make butter out of)

Put the nuts in a blender. Whizz. You might need to use a spoon or knife to scrape the nut-butter mix down from the sides ever now and then. Whizz until looks like butter. Simple.

homemade-peanut-butter

Should look along the lines of this. If you like it crunchy, then stop earlier or add some crunched peanuts afterwards. So easy and so tasty! I can’t believe you have learnt how to make peanut butter from scratch and The Easiest Snack Ever all in the same day. Give yourself a pad on the back, well deserved.

Now, who’s gonna have some Banana with Peanut Butter as an afternoon snack?

PS, remember that peanuts are in fact not nuts at all, they are legumes. And if you’re lucky, they’ll give you super powers, just like with Super Goof here

Super GoofHave a brilliant Wednesday night. Be super or just be Goofy 🙂

You can also Like my Facebook Page, Follow me on Instagram and Twitter 🙂

This entry was posted in Interesting Things About Food (Mostly), Recipe and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Sometimes All You Want Is Peanut Butter And Banana

1. Hey, thanks so much for checking out my blog and following! Also…peanut butter and banana is the BEST THING EVER. So glad to have found someone else who understands 😉 You know what’s also really sweet? Peanut butter smoothie–It’s just a banana, peanut butter, and vanilla yoghurt blended up. Its thick and creamy and delicious and you can eat it with a spoon 🙂

2. jen says:

Mmm tasty, I also really want to try making ice cream from frozen bananas and adding peanut butter and cocoa. Have you tried this?

• No, but now I want to! And I’ve got the ingredients, but I’ve packed down my food processor 😦 Now what do I do?? Let me know when you’ve tried, sounds amazing!

• jen says:

It was delicious, I tried it today! Stick a couple of bananas in the freezer. When you want to make it get them out (I had to cut the peel off with a knife which I’m not sure is correct but it worked) put them in the food processor and whizz with peanut butter until it’s ice cream. I left out the cocoa today because I wasn’t feeling it! I think you’d like it 🙂

• Sounds awesome! Will definitely try it!!

• Jen that is one of my favorite desserts! Awesome Ashild, freeze bananas (sans skin, and I like to cut them into 2 inch pieces before freezing). Put the pieces in your food processor and let it rip! Sometimes it needs a TINY bit of almond/soy milk to get going (like, 2 teaspoons. Too much will make it runny and change the texture) until it has the texture of fro yo. Then I put in a few tablespoons of PB, pulse once or twice, and have a delicious snack! Like Jen mentioned, sometimes I put in a tiny bit of cocoa, but I’ve found I prefer just the PB and will sometimes add some dark chocolate chips after I’ve removed the mixture from the food processor.

Just don’t re-freeze the mixture! Ya gotta eat it after making!

• I’m so trying this on the weekend. I would’ve done it yesterday, but in the moving house process I had packed my food processor away without thinking about ice cream, LOL 🙂 xx
        PS, don’t think the ‘eating straight away’ will be a problem 🙂

• That sounds DELICIOUS! I’m sure it could work because I’ve eaten mashed frozen bananas. Adding the PB would probably smooth it out and add some yummy fats :). Perfect for a summer time snack!

3. Pas Dee says:

Yummo… I love this idea.. I usually have this on toast or cruskits..but I will keep this idea in mind for next time! 🙂 Thanks for stopping by and liking one of juice posts btw 🙂

4. angelinahue says:

I love peanut butter, especially the crunchy version. I had recently blogged about peanuts – and of course, PG was a highlight: http://wp.me/p1Sgzv-EX
    I just replenished the PB stock at home after a recent visit to the Netherlands. Have been getting my daily start to the morning with a (heaping) teaspoon of Calvé crunchy PB 🙂

5. Aww yes, comfort food. 🙂

6. MainerChick says:

My afternoon snack yesterday was a large banana with almond butter on it. Very yummy.

7. ckfus says:

Thanks for following me at http://homespunhappenings.wordpress.com/. I always eat peanut butter on my bananas. Is there any other way? I tried the ice cream Jen suggested. It was worth the try. Have a blessed day!

8. TC Conner says:

I snack on PBB sandwiches often. And will forgo the bread on occasion. Because bread is starchy fat or something. I don’t know.

9. KJoy says:

I’m so happy there’s someone here in Australia that doesn’t have an aversion to peanut butter on “anything else other than toast.” I LOVE LOVE PB on Bananas. I’ve made the easy “ice cream” just blending the two together. How about “ants on a log”? PB on celery, topped with raisins.

10. crazyfitfun says:

I like to melt 70% Dark Chocolate and mix with the all natural peanut butter and dip my bananas into it. It is filling and amazing treat! fills me up for hours. Thanks for following.

• Oh, this keeps getting better! I actually had a PB&B this morning after my weight session while I waited for my omelette to cook and I was so full I didn’t even eat my eggs in the end 🙂

• crazyfitfun says:

Yeah, it is a meal in itself! I usually eat this when I know I won’t be able to eat for hours. It keeps me full longer than anything else.

11. kylabee says:

I love PB and banana. Have you ever tried PB and cheese though? Sounds odd but very good. I also love putting pb or another nut butter in my oatmeal instead of using syrup. Delish.

12. daywithoutdancingwasted says:

This post really makes me want to pick up some bananas tomorrow! I’m so glad that someone in Australia likes peanut butter. All the counselors at my camp from there thought it was way too salty and when I lived in Spain had to have it mailed to me. Too bad I hadn’t read this prior I could have made my own!